How to Get Rhinoplasty Surgery Abroad – What are the Risks?
There are many reasons to get your surgery overseas, but no matter what your reasons are, you should do your research before deciding on flying to a foreign land to get a procedure done. It is possible that you may be getting your surgery overseas due to an offer much more affordable than the available procedure locally. Before accepting an offer, you need to weigh up your potential savings against the potential risks.
Rhinoplasty in Sydney | How Safe is Rhinoplasty Abroad?
No form of surgery is actually risk-free. Regardless of where you get your procedure, there will always be a possibility of complications depending on factors such as your health, the expertise of your surgeon and many more.
There are countries, like the United Kingdom, where the surgeon takes responsibility to provide follow-up treatments in the case of complications. However, not every clinic overseas provide this kind of services.
Rhinoplasty in Sydney | Choosing a Holiday Package
Rhinoplasty is known to be a pricey procedure, however, there are times that it really must be done due to difficulties in breathing. If the price of the procedure is getting in the way of a better quality of life, some may depend on holiday rhinoplasty packages offered by some websites.
Here are some things that you should keep in mind when considering a holiday rhinoplasty package:
- It is important that you consult with the surgeon first before considering the package. Do not rely on the sales staff alone. A surgeon can better provide you with the details of the procedure.
- Make sure that you do your research on the hospital or the clinic that will be accommodating your consultation and your rhinoplasty procedure. Do not pay to go to a hospital without checking the reviews of their services.
- You also need to make sure that you have met the surgeon who will perform the surgery or you, at least, have checked their credibility and experience.
You may be thinking that it is not such a bad deal to have a holiday before surgery since you are already overseas. While it is not entirely impossible to have fun before going under the knife, it may be unrealistic to have a great time after the procedure as there are many risks.
You need to be able to rest and you should not drink alcohol, avoid the sun, and the water. So if your idea of fun involves a crowd, the beach, some alcohol or all of the above– needless to say, you would not be having that much fun after the surgery.
Rhinoplasty in Sydney | Post-Surgery Care
The follow-up care is an essential part of the treatment. You may need to regularly consult with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing properly. Before planning to get your surgery overseas rather than getting your rhinoplasty in Sydney or in your nearest nose job surgeon, you need to find out about the following:
- What will happen if there are complications?
- Where would you be getting your follow-up appointments?
- In the case that you need additional procedures after the original surgery, how easily can you go back to the surgeon who did your first surgery?
- How much will it cost?
Rhinoplasty in Sydney | What to Do to Reduce Risks of Surgery Abroad
Whether you had your rhinoplasty in Sydney or overseas, the aftercare and advice are pretty much the same.
- Research and ask as much as you can about the procedure. This includes finding more about:
- The consultations
- The procedure
- The risks and
- The aftercare
- Choose a credible and trusted rhinoplasty surgeon. Keep in mind that the standards and qualifications abroad may differ from the ones in Australia. You need to take extra steps to ensure that your chosen surgeon abroad is fully trained in the art of nose job procedures.
- Research about how the surgeons and clinics are regulated in your chosen country for your surgery.
- Find out how the standards are enforced.
- Ask your surgeon about their training and qualifications. You should ask about the organisation that they belong to as well. You can ask about the duration of their practice, the number of procedures that they have performed, and lastly, if they speak a language that you understand. Keep in mind that they have to explain the procedure to you and answer any concerns or questions that you may have.
- Book a consultation with your rhinoplasty surgeon. You should have at least two consultations before proceeding with any form of surgery, rhinoplasty is not an exemption to this step. The purpose of the consultations is for the surgeon to be able to make you understand the following:
- what the procedure involves
- the limitations of a procedure
- Available alternative procedures
- The potential risks or complications
You may ask about their nose job before and after pictures or gallery. Seeing pictures of their work may be able to help you decide if you want to continue the procedure with them. You should also check the following:
- If the clinic or surgeon of your choice will allow insurance to cover you, if yes, you would want to ask what insurance do they accept.
- Generally, travel insurance does not cover the travel expenses if anything goes wrong in surgery. You would want to know what they DO cover.
- Check your options in the case that you need to go home because of an emergency. You also need to know how much it will cost.
- Plan when you can book your flight home. You need to be able to rest after your rhinoplasty. It is not advisable to air travel right after a procedure since this may increase your risk of a blood clot which is dangerous to your health. It is recommended for you not to fly for 7-10 days after your rhinoplasty.
What to Consider Before Undergoing Plastic Surgery Abroad
You need to make the right choices for your health. Making the right choices will help in guiding you to the appropriate overseas destination and medical facility that will perform the surgery with the utmost care and precision.
There are several countries where rhinoplasty is a common procedure and where medical professionals have honed their skills so they can provide their patients with top-notch care and beautiful results. The choice may be hard, but the following consideration can help you narrow down your choices:
- Price: Do not just focus on the price. Even overseas, a more experienced surgeon would be charging more than a surgeon who has just started out. That is why price should not be the only factor you consider when making a decision.
- Conditions of the clinic: Before booking for a procedure, you need to research about the clinic that you are interested in. Not all clinics are created equally both locally and overseas. It is best that you are able to visit the clinic prior to actually booking a surgery. Ask for a tour of the facility, talk to the staff, and make a preliminary appointment to talk with the doctor. And don’t forget to ask to see certification information to be certain that the hospital or clinic is fully accredited, as that will prove that it has passed a comprehensive review and that it operates in a manner that focuses on patient safety.
- Qualifications of the surgeon: Each country has its own sets of requirements for medical certifications. So, when you look for surgeons abroad, you may find that some surgeons are not as qualified as the surgeons that you have locally. It would not hurt to ask for the surgeon’s medical background.
Many highly qualified surgeons abroad will be able to prove that they were actually trained in the United States or in the United Kingdom, as a couple of examples, so they will be certified by the American Medical Association (AMA) or the General Medical Council (GMC), respectively. European accreditation bodies, such as the European Association of Plastic Surgeons, as well as international bodies, like the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS) or the International Confederation for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS), can also provide you with additional peace of mind regarding the qualifications of the medical facility and its staff.